- 3 cups tomato juice, divided
- 4 large green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 (3-inch) piece lemongrass, trimmed and sliced
- 1 (1 and 1/2-inch) cube fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 cups broth — your choice - vegetable, beef or chicken
- 3 cups orange juice
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Puree 2 cups tomato juice and next 4 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk remaining 1 cup tomato juice, broth, and orange juice in a large nonreactive pitcher. Pour 11/2 to 2 cups into an icecube tray, and freeze 2 hours or until frozen.
- Combine tomato mixture in blender with remaining broth mixture in pitcher in a nonreactive bowl; season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Divide frozen cubes and tomato soup among 8 decorative glasses. Serve immediately.
About this recipe
The recipe could be multipurpose — used as a base for sorbet or a Bloody Mary. The ginger and lemongrass flavors make a fun starter for the kohlrabi salad, complementing the curry dressing. I am also flexible about the broth in this recipe — I’ve used just about everything possible, depending on what is in my freezer. My favorite is beef broth for the depth of flavor it provides, but any broth you have on hand will work fine.