- 3 cups seeded watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups seeded cucumber, cut into ½-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint (stems removed)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro (stems and leaves)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts
About this recipe
Start this a few hours before you want to serve it, as the melon and cucumber need to drain out as much of their liquid as possible before being tossed with the dressing. This makes about 12 servings, and doesn’t hold well. The lime juice starts to soften the melon before long and you want to eat this while it is still crunchy.
Put the melon and cucumber cubes in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. After at least 15 minutes (but go for a few hours if you can), drain off any liquid. (It makes a very refreshing drink!)
Whisk the juice and hoisin sauce until well mixed, and pour the dressing over the cubes, toss gently to coat. Sprinkle the chopped herbs over the salad, and top with chopped peanuts.