- For pesto: Put greens , herbs and salt in blender or food processor. With machine running, add oil slowly, using just enough oil to process the mixture into a rough paste. Set aside.
- For the risotto: In a heavy, large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add scallions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice, stir to coat and cook another 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Pour the wine into the pot and stir until absorbed. Add 1 cup stock and ½ teaspoon salt, stirring constantly until stock is absorbed. Add another cup stock and stir into rice. When stock is mostly absorbed, add the vegetables. Add another cup of stock and stir constantly until it is absorbed. Continue adding remainder of stock in this manner. The whole process from first cup of stock until the last should take about 20 minutes. The rice will be creamy but still firm to the bite.
- Remove pot from the heat and stir in the pesto. Add the butter pieces and stir until they are all melted. Stir in ½ cup cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, topped with remaining cheese.
Preparing vegetables: Fava beans also need to be blanched and have their skins removed before starting.