- 1½ cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cups olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3½ cups or more
- all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped or rubbed sage
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In large bowl, combine warm water, yeast, honey, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, salt and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Stir well and let rest for about 5 minutes
- Add remaining flour a little at a time, stirring to mix well until you have a soft dough. Turn out on a floured board to knead.
- Add small amounts of flour and knead for approximately 6 minutes or until you have a soft, pliable dough. Pour a little olive oil in your hands and continue kneading until dough “pops up” when punched. Leave to rest for about 5 minutes
- Divide dough into three balls. With your hand roll each section into a long rope (about 12 inches) for 1 large loaf, and braid strands loosely into a loaf. Pinch and tuck ends. Transfer to baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Let rest for 5 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Mix together 1/2 cups olive oil and herbs.
- Pour mixture over hot bread and serve warm.