- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups shifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups diced, pared apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Beat together oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla (about 3 minutes).
- Sift dry ingredients, beating well after each addition. Stir in apples.
- Combine walnuts and flour; stir into batter. Pour into greased and floured 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in 350° oven for 1 hour, or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on rack.
- Spread with caramel icing (instructions below). Makes 16 servings.
For Caramel Icing:
- Combine ingredients. Bring to boil and boil for about 2–3 minutes, or until sugar dissolves. (Be careful not to let the sugar burn.) Beat in confectionary sugar until it’s thick and creamy. Remove from heat; spread over top of cake.
By Oreida Haney