- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup diced onion, sautéed till tender
- 3 tablespoons diced pimento
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- ¾ cups crushed Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Cook peeled and cubed eggplant in salted boiling water till tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and mash.
- Mix sautéed onion, pimento, pecans, herbs, eggs and half the crushed crackers and add mashed eggplant. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place mixture in a buttered 1-quart baking dish and top with remaining crushed crackers and the melted butter.
- Bake at 350° for 25–30 minutes.
Yields 4–6 servings.