- 1 quart strawberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar (or add up to ½ cup more if you want it sweeter)
- Fresh mint for garnish (optional)
• Preheat oven to 375°. Remove stems from strawberries, wash and dry. Toss with the vinegar and a tablespoon of the sugar.
• Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes or until berries start to collapse a bit. Scrape berries and any juices in the pan into a blender with the remaining sugar and the buttermilk and purée until thick and creamy.
• Chill the mixture until quite cold, and then process in an ice cream machine. Remove frozen ice cream, place in a container and store the ice cream in freezer until ready to serve.