- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 ounces chile de arbol, stemmed
- 3/4 ounces pasilla chile, stem, seed, cut into small pieces
- 10 cloves black garlic, peeled
- 10 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
In a large saucepan, combine the oil and the chiles and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and the chiles are browned in spots, about 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in both garlics along with the vinegar, sugar, cumin and salt. Cover and let cool. Transfer the chile mixture to a blender and pulse until a coarse paste forms.