- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1½ teaspoons fennel, dill or anise seeds
- 1½ tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Cut carrots into sticks as you would for a veggie platter. Bring a nonreactive medium-sized pot of lightly salted water to boiling, add carrots and simmer 2 minutes. Pour into colander and rinse under cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- In same pot, heat remaining ingredients to boiling and reduce to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, add carrot sticks and cool until room temperature. Transfer to jars and chill.
- Carrot sticks should be made at least 1 day in advance of serving. They will keep 1 month refrigerated.
Makes 3 to 4 cups.