Quick and easy Middle Eastern recipes to savor and share.
- 1 pound fresh carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and partially crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon hot paprika
Boil the carrots in salted water until slightly tender but still crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain and immediately cover the carrots with ice water to stop further cooking. Drain again.
While the carrots are cooking, in a medium pot or skillet, gently sauté the garlic cloves in the olive oil for 2 or 3 minutes over low heat. Discard the garlic (it can always be used for soup or something else) and add the carrots, lemon juice, cilantro or parsley and spices. Sauté over low heat for another 2 minutes, and remove from the heat.
Serve the marinated carrots either warm or chilled.