It takes a special kind of person to commit to eating an all-local diet. The ones you hear about are the ones who’ve made money off the project. Barbara Kingsolver wrote Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Th...
- 6 eggs
- 1 rib celery
- 1/3 cup finely diced daikon radish
- 1 heaping teaspoon pesto
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (plus more to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put eggs into a pan that just holds them in a single layer and cover with cold water. Place on a high heat and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover the pot and allow the eggs to sit 20 minutes. Rinse in cool water and peel (if peels seem to stick, peel them under cold running water).
- Dice eggs into a bowl. Mince celery and add it and daikon. Combine pesto and mayonnaise and stir into eggs. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon onto bread of your choosing (lots of wonderful local options; Blue Dog Bakery was our preference) or garnish with any greens and tomatoes if they are available.
Courtesy of Kristen and Olivia Vittitow