- 5 large eggs (plus 1 egg white, if you have one on hand)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon for oiling pan
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup) freshly squeezed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Oil a 9½-inch springform pan; set aside.
- Whip the extra egg white (if using) until stiff peaks hold, and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer using the whisk attachment, whisk the whole eggs at the highest speed for 3 minutes, until very thick. Add the sugar and whisk for 2 more minutes, until the mixture is foamy and pale. Continue whisking at the highest speed and add the olive oil, extracts, salt, lemon zest and juice. When all ingredients are combined, turn off the mixer.
- Sift the flour over the mixture and whisk in on the lowest speed. Once the flour is thoroughly mixed in and no lumps remain, add the beaten egg white (if using) and whisk in on lowest speed until no white streaks remain.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is golden brown, about 45–50 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Run a thin knife along the inside of the pan, and remove the pan ring, leaving the cake on the pan base. When completely cool, you can transfer the cake to a serving dish. Garnish with powdered sugar if desired. Lemon curd or any fruit sauce is a wonderful accompaniment.