- 3/4 cup bolted white cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lard (heaping) and lard for griddle
- Boiling water
- While boiling the water, put lard on griddle to heat.
- Mix cornmeal and salt. Drop in lard. Mix in boiling water until you have a stiff dough and lard is melted. Then put in a little cold water, stirring until smooth to make a pourable batter.
- Pour onto hot griddle and cook on medium-low heat for 15–20 minutes. Lift sides to check and when brown, flip onto plate. Put more lard on griddle and cook 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut into pie-shaped wedges, butter and serve hot.