- 1 cup quinoa or wheat berries
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 cups minced fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, mint and/or dill
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup minced green onion
- ¼ cup minced brine-cured black olives or green salad olives
- ¼ cup minced garlic scapes or 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Combine quinoa in a saucepan with ¼ teaspoon salt and 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- As the quinoa cools, combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add cooled quinoa and stir to mix evenly. Chill or serve at room temperature. Makes 8 side servings.