Fresh veggies, rich memories served on paper plates.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups eggplant, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 2 cups summer squash (such as Crookneck or Zephyr), cubed
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed
- 2 medium bell peppers (I prefer 1 green and 1 orange or yellow, to maximize colors)
- 2 cups fresh tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Over medium heat, warm oil in Dutch over or deep skillet. Sauté onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
Add eggplant, salt, bay leaf, fresh herbs and stir. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until eggplant is beginning to soften.
Add summer squash, zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste and fresh-ground black pepper. Cover and simmer for about 10 more minutes or until vegetables are cooked to your desired doneness. (I like mine a little al dente and still bright in color.)
Serve hot, warm or at room temperature as a side or over grits or quinoa for a vegetarian entree. I like to garnish mine with chopped parsley and crumbled feta or goat cheese.