- 18 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 10 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 whole eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- Chocolate Pot Pie Lids (recipe below)
- Vanilla bean ice cream
- Chocolate sauce, as needed
Chocolate Pot Pie Lids
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush the inside of eight 4-ounce ramekins with butter. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, with the butter and Bourbon.
- Mix the egg yolks, whole eggs and sugar for 2–3 minutes in a mixer bowl with the paddle attachment.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the mixer bowl. Mix just well enough to blend.
- Fill each ramekin almost to the top.
- Place a Chocolate Pot Pie Lid on each.
- Bake potpies for 10–12 minutes (the outer centimeter of the batter should be cooked and set, while the middle of the potpie should be runny.)
- Top each off with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
CHOCOLATE POT PIE LIDS
- Sift all dry ingredients.
- Cream the sugar and butter together for 2–3 minutes in a mixer bowl with the paddle attachment. Stop the mixer, add the egg and vanilla and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl and restart.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl. Allow the dough to form.
- Remove the mixture from the mixer bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Dust work surface with a little cocoa powder and roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough with a round cookie cutter that is approximately the same size as the individual baking dishes. Gather scraps left over from cutting, then re-roll and cut more lids.
- Place cut Pot Pie Lids on sheet tray and refrigerate until needed. Can be made up to three days ahead of time.