- 8 peaches, pitted and sliced (8 cups)
- 2½ cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1½ cups apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped out and pod reserved
In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the peaches, orange juice, vinegar, brown sugar and bourbon and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the red pepper flakes and vanilla seeds and pod. Simmer until the peaches become tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a 16-ounce jar. Let cool. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Serve at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from The Bourbon Country Cookbook by David Danielson and Tim Laird, Agate Surrey, 2018.