- 1½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup frozen black currants
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup agave nectar (3 tablespoons if using a sweeter fruit)
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in oats and fruit.
• Melt butter in microwave in a bowl or large glass measuring cup. Stir in yogurt and agave. to cool down melted butter. Add egg and whisk wet ingredients until blended.
• Pour over dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon until just moistened. It will be sticky. Place half the batter on a lightly floured surface; sprinkle additional flour on top. Pat into a circle about 8-inches in diameter and 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to lightly greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining batter.
• Bake for 10–12 minutes until golden brown.
• Eat plain or with butter; or for a special treat, butter and a dollop of homemade rhubarb sauce.
About this recipe
Spring is coming. Days get longer. Unpredictable weather is “predictable.” When the weather is gray and damp, a homemade scone fresh out of the oven provides a quiet pleasure at the end of the day.