- Pastry for a 2-crust pie
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups peeled, sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- 2 or 3 tablespoons milk or cream
Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray and line with pastry. Heat oven to 350°F. Beat egg in a large bowl. Add sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, flour, vanilla and salt. Stir to blend. Add apples and stir to coat. Spoon into pastry-lined pie pan. Combine remaining sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Sprinkle over apples. Cover with pie pastry and pinch crusts to seal. Brush the crust with milk to promote oven browning, and sprinkle with a little sugar if desired.
Bake pie in the center of the oven until the juices are bubbling and the apples are tender, about an hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.