- 4 cups peeled, diced Haney’s apples (use Winesap, Ida Red or Jonathan, when in season)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda in a little water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour, a little at a time
- Stir first set of ingredients and let stand 15 minutes.
- Mix the second set of ingredients and then add to the previous stirred apple mixture.
- Bake in a 9- by 13- by 2-inch pan for 10 minutes at 400°. Then turn oven down to 350° for 30 minutes, or until done. Cut into squares and top with whipped cream or ice cream. Best when warm. Serves 18.
By Orieda Haney